Saturday, June 6, 2015

The Start of Summer

Yesterday was Isabel's last day of second grade.

I cried as they counted down to the beginning of their summer with excitement. This has been the most difficult year for me so far.

I took the day off from work in order to take her to school and pick her up. I also do that for the first day of school as well. My own little tradition to be able to be there for her. 

This year I decided to start something else as well. Since school starts at 8 and she can go early at 730, I decided to get her up early and take her out to breakfast. 



She talked about how excited she was to be done with this year and to be a third grader. I just sat there listening to her and kept thinking about how fast time goes by and how my little girl isn't so little anymore.

I think that's part of why it was so difficult this year to watch her say goodbye to her friends and teacher. She's growing up. With each year that goes by she needs me less and less. Our goodbyes when I drop her off at school will get shorter and shorter and eventually she won't want to be seen with me. 

So, for now I'm going to cherish each moment I do have with her, even more than I already do. Each moment she does want to be with me. Each kiss good night and every single "I love you mommy." 

Her summer starts now and so far the plan is to work on some math, reading, piano, etc for a small part of each day and then letting her enjoy being a kid the rest of the day. We'll focus on the subjects she struggled with this year (which we will find out at some point today when report cards are released online). She loves learning and we want to continue that throughout the summer, but it won't be all work. 

She is signed up for a few summer camps, swim lessons and a family vacation or two. I also foresee a lot of bike riding, lego building and movie watching in our future. Maybe some camping in the front yard and s'more making at our firepit. The ideas are endless!! 

It's going to be a good summer. I can already tell..

No comments:

Post a Comment