Sunday, July 20, 2014

Weekend Update

No training schedule update and no mileage update this week. For the most part I'm not updating either because this past week was rather uneventful workout and running-wise.

I've hit a dip in my motivation, but I'm going to keep on putting one foot in front of the other. I may be recruiting in order to have someone physically push me out the door for my long runs, but I know that the only person that can make me go is myself. 

I did pretty well on my training schedule up until Thursday's run. I had made a few adjustments, but sticking to the plan ended before my run Thursday and has yet to come back. But it's the start of a new week and the perfect opportunity to try again. 

It wasn't as though my weekend was filled with late mornings and no physical activity.. 

I decide to take Friday off of work as a last minute decision. There was a lot that needed to be done before Saturday's dinner with 20ish family guests. My plans changed though...

While on my lunch break at work on Thursday I decided to look online at the local animal shelter. Patrick and I had been discussing the possibility of getting a dog, we just didn't know when. Then I saw this:



And I fell in love. 

It didn't take long for me to decide to go up Friday afternoon. I spent part of the morning at the hospital with my family in the waiting room while my brother in law had surgery (all went smoothly) and then picked up Isabel from camp at noon. We went straight to the shelter. I wasn't sure if she was "our" dog and wanted to see her personality and how well we reacted together. 

I cannot begin to tell you the connection that was made right from the start. It was very similar to when we found Marley at a different shelter. I just knew that it was meant to be. 

I also let her spend some time with Isabel before making the final decision. Again, that connection was there. She played fetch, she rolled over to let Isabel pet her belly, she remained calm when Isabel held the leash in the pen. I decided to adopt her because although we just moved, if I wait for the absolute right time to bring a dog into our family then we would never get one. 

She had been at the shelter since June 4th and I realized (after so many of the employees saying how sweet she was and that they were sad to see her go) that the reason she hadn't been adopted was because she was waiting for us. 

Meet Camper



She is incredible and I cannot believe how lucky we are. She is such a sweetheart. There's some work to do, especially with introducing her and Marley, but we have a system that seems to be working. 

I've been enjoying working with her on the leash by walking her and hope to eventually start running with her. Not crazy distances, and I will get her vet 's approval first. For now, we have a nice 2 mile route for our daily walk and it's been nice getting into a routine with her. A smooth transition. 

Saturday we had our family over for dinner and I could not have asked for a better behaved dog. She stayed on her leash for most of the day, usually by my side. My dad also held the leash for part of the time, but you could tell in her eyes when she saw me that I'm already her mom. Melts my heart..




I didn't take pictures at the barbecue and I have no idea why and am regretting that decision now. I didn't get to spend as much time as I would have liked with everyone and I regret not making a point to be there physically because I was mentally stressed about how the day was going to go. I need to work on that.

Sunday afternoon was great because my mom and I took Isabel and my niece, Emma, to a play put on by a local acting camp for kids. The were putting on The Wizard of Oz and wow, were some of these kids talented!! Especially the actress playing Dorothy. Chills when she sang Somewhere Over the Rainbow.


It was a fantastic weekend and I am so happy for our family that just grew by four feet (or paws). She's a happy Camper!

2 comments:

  1. You can see how happy your dog is already. That is really awesome you have given her a home and a family. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! She is the perfect addition to our family and she is so very loved :)

      Delete