Thursday, July 17, 2014

Meeting Jeff Galloway

I will never be the type of person who can run 26.2 miles straight. I just don't have the body that can do something like that. I will always be amazed by people who can run that distance, hell any distance straight through. I can't even go half a mile without thinking I'm going to die. I've done it (a 5K on the treadmill without walking once) but it was difficult.

And yet I have completed 26.2 miles. Twenty-six point freaking two. It's not something that I thought I would ever do because I never thought about doing it. When Rachel mentioned running a marathon and I decided to join her I didn't really have a plan on how we were going to do it. She wanted to join a running group, I did not. I was afraid that my running style would be something people would make fun of. I thought I'd slow people down. I thought too much.

Rachel quickly found a group and went to a meeting. She asked me to join her for one meeting, just one. If I hated it I didn't have to come back. So I went, and I loved the group and loved the people and loved the method.

The Galloway Method. It's fairly simple. It focuses on intervals. You run for a certain amount of time and then walk for a certain amount of time. You repeat these intervals for your planned distance. Rachel and I currently run 30 seconds and walk 1 minute. There is a formula to these intervals and a way to help you reach your goals. I plan to eventually up my intervals, but for now I am comfortable and I know that I can reach my goals using these times.

To me, Jeff Galloway is amazing. His method has helped me to not only complete races and become a runner, but it has helped me fall in love with running. Before joining this group I never considered myself a runner, even on the rare occasions that I got out and did it (usually with my iPod on because it was the only way I could make it through a run). I would run a song, walk a song and repeat. I hated every moment of it. I would have a set course and end up taking a different course in order to go home early.

Now I only listen to music on runs with distances longer than 13.1 miles. Now I tend to see someone running down the street and I look with envy, wishing I too could be out running even if I have a run planned or if I've already gone for my run for the day. Now I have more drawers in my dresser dedicated to running attire than I do every day clothes.

It's an addiction... There is no cure. And yet it's also my therapy. Hell, it's cheaper than therapy.

I had the opportunity to meet Jeff Galloway at the running store we met at for our long runs in August of 2012. He also held a class in the morning, however due to some financial difficulties at that time I chose to not partake in this. The meet and greet was free and I couldn't pass up meeting the man that taught me to love something I despised so much only a year prior.

I had so much I wanted to say to him. I wanted to let him know that he had changed my life. I mean, between joining the group and meeting him I had completed 1 marathon, 4 half marathons, a few 5K and 10Ks thrown in there, a mud run and many hours of training runs. I had also PR'd my 5K time, my 10K time, my half marathon time and I had made multiple goals for the future. And there has been so much running since then.

When it was my turn to meet him I froze. I think the only things that came out of my mouth was my name (so he could sign my book) and a thank you after we took the picture. Still one of the highlights to my running history.




No comments:

Post a Comment