Sunday, December 28, 2014

San Diego Holiday Half

I did it!! I reached my goal!! 14 half marathons in 2014.. 

It feels so surreal. I don't often complete goals I set for myself, so reaching one that took all year to complete is really meaningful to me and I am so proud of myself for sticking with it and making it work. 


The race started late, which was frustrating because there was a strict time limit of 3:15 for the race. They sent reminders about locations of pick ups if you didn't get there by a certain time. I was concerned that I would be picked up even if I stayed ahead of my goal pace.. In fact, that's what I thought about for most of the race, that I wouldn't finish my last race of the year due to circumstances out of my control.

I haven't been working on speed, so my main goal for this race was to not get picked up and shuttled to the finish line, but of course I wouldn't be me if I didn't also set other goals along the way. So, I decided to shoot for a finishing time of 2:45 and to have an average pace between 12:30 and 13 minute miles. 

I started out the first two miles just over 13 minutes, due to hills and the usual crowds in the first few miles of a race. When things opened up a bit and the course became more flat and downhill I picked up the pace to between 12:30 and 13 minute miles, exactly where I wanted to be. I finished strong, having the last two miles finished under 12 minutes. I felt strong enough to push the few miles, and I think that's how it's supposed to be when you hold back the first few miles. 





I don't think there are words for what I pushed myself to do this year. I reached a mileage goal early and pushed myself to go farther (just under 13 miles needed to reach that goal by Wednesday), and I pushed myself mentally, physically and financially to make this goal. 

As soon as I saw my mom, Isabel and my niece after the finish I started to cry. Tears of joy and of pride. I don't give myself a lot of credit for the things I push myself to do, always thinking about those who have already accomplished that same goal, those who have accomplished more and those who accomplish those goals better. Lately, though, I've been allowing myself to celebrate not just the finish lines, but all of the steps along the way. 

What a difference that has made in my life. It makes the experiences and all of the training and hard work along the way so much better. Every training run, every mile.. It's all brought me to a realization that I've found something that I'm passionate about, something that I can do anytime. I used to hate it, now I can't wait until I can do it again..

I didn't save my mile by mile pace, but I did (unofficially) reach the goals I set for myself this morning. 


I can't believe the year is over and that I'm going to be working towards new goals in just a few short days. What a year it's been and what a year I'm about to have. 



Finisher pictures from my mom, including crossing the finish line and my medals. I got one for finishing the race and one for completing 4 races in the California race series.. 

Now that Christmas is over, I'm hoping to spend some time cleaning up my section of the garage that I am turning into a gym. I have decided on how I want to organize my race bibs and medals and I cannot wait until it's done. I am very excited to show it off. It's pretty incredible what I've been able to do in 5 years. And I can't wait to see what the next 5 bring. 

I don't want to look back and regret not doing something, which is why I run. I do it now because one day I might not be able to and I don't want to think about all of the things I didn't do. Instead I want to talk about the things I did do, the places I went to, the people I met. 

What a journey.. Here's to the next steps and wherever they may take me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment