Saturday, December 6, 2014

Another Long Training Weekend

This weekend called for another long weekend with high mileage. I chose to reschedule my strength training from Friday for a few reasons.. I woke up Friday morning to a little one in my bed and I couldn't justify getting up out of a warm bed cuddling with Isabel to work out. We don't have many mornings to cuddle because we're normally getting ready to go to school and work. I was going to postpone it to later that evening, but it was my parents annual Christmas party and I looked cute and didn't want to get all sweaty before the party. So I decided to wait until Saturday.

Then Saturday came and since I didn't fall asleep until after 10:30 (which is late for me) I ended up sleeping in later than planned. Much later and I was running behind on my other scheduled workout, a 10 mile walk. I made the decision to skip this one strength because this weekend was going to be focused on running and distance. I am not feeling guilty about this decision and I do plan on continuing strength come Monday. I'm in such a better place mentally when it comes to adjusting my schedule that missing one workout so soon into starting isn't making me feel like I'm failing at it or giving up completely. Such a better place to be.

Saturday I went for my 10 mile walk with the goal of averaging under a 15 minute mile. I also walked part of the course for my 23 mile run on Sunday so that I could make sure I was going to be able to do it. And I'm glad I did, because I realized how much of an incline there would be towards the end of the run. So I changed my 23 mile course to make the main incline at the beginning of the run (to get it over with early and to hopefully help me start the run at a slow and steady pace). There will be some elevation throughout the run, but I felt better about the run after changing the course than I did Saturday morning.

Sunday's course:
Sunday's elevation: 

Saturday training walk - scheduled 10 miles
Mile 1- 15:23
Mile 2- 15:23
Mile 3- 14:51
Mile 4- 14:29
Mile 5- 14:36
Mile 6- 15:01
Mile 7- 14:46
Mile 8- 14:42
Mile 9- 14:46
Mile 10- 14:43
Mile 11- 14:21
Total distance- 11.03
Total time- 2:43:40
Avg pace- 14:51

Sunday training run - scheduled 23 miles






Mile 1- 13:37
Mile 2- 13:30
Mile 3- 13:03
Mile 4- 13:08
Mile 5- 13:18
Mile 6- 13:06
Mile 7- ???
Mile 8- 13:07
Mile 9- 13:17
Mile 10- 13:22
Mile 11- 13:15
Mile 12- 12:50
Mile 13- 13:03
Mile 14- 13:18
Mile 15- 13:09
Mile 16- 13:18
Mile 17- 13:16
Mile 18- 12:56
Mile 19- 13:31
Mile 20- ???
Mile 21- ???
Mile 22- ???
Mile 23- ???
Total distance- per mapmyrun 23.23
Total time- ???
Avg pace- ???

So, my GPS watch died right at mile 20, so I have no idea what the pace was for the last four miles or what my average pace was overall. Since I struggled so much on my 20 mile run a few weeks ago I decided to push myself to try to keep with my intervals for the first 20 miles. I was able to, with the occasional skipped interval for stop lights and water stops. 

Shortly after mile 20 I decided to change my intervals and take an extra walk break every third interval. That worked well for about a mile or so until I switched to every other interval. About half a mile from the finish I went back to running every interval. 

I would say that even with the extra walk breaks I probably maintained averaged exactly where I wanted, around a 14 minute mile. I stayed pretty consistent overall for the first 19 and am really happy with what I was able to accomplish today. It's difficult being out there running those miles alone, but thankfully my mom was willing to meet me three times for water refills, quick pep talks and even an offer to drive me home at mile 18.4 (I declined). 

To be honest, after how nervous I felt about this run I'm surprised I did so well. I'm extremely excited and happy with my performance and really hope that this wasn't a fluke, but proof that I am getting stronger. I may have skipped Friday's strength and I also skipped Monday's (due to a sore hip), but maybe something is working.. And maybe that's motivation enough to start back up on Wednesday.

Weekend Recap
Non Running Related...

As mentioned, I had a high mileage weekend that took up a lot of my time, but it's not all I did. 

Friday night was my parents Christmas party. Every year they host a Christmas party and it usually is a bunko party. It's such a fun time and I really enjoy myself. Everyone is asked to bring a $10 present and when you roll your first bunko you get to pick a present from under the tree. Patrick picked a really cute decoration that will be going up in our home for Christmas, and I picked a S'mores kit that will be put to good use with our fire pit. 

Saturday was a pretty lazy day, which was not planned. For whatever reason (lack of sleep, late night, early morning, 10 miles, etc) I was really tired when I got home so I watched a little television, took a short nap and did some more crafting for Christmas. As much as I enjoyed the idea of crafting gifts for our parents I'm starting to feel a little guilty that we're not doing more.. I'm sure they will be very appreciative of what we are doing and the time it took to do it, but I'm thinking too much about it and need to realize that it's going to be okay.

I also spent some time working on the blanket that I am crocheting. I had decided a while ago to not allow myself to buy anymore yarn until I used up all of the little 2 oz yarn I bought to make scarves. That never went anywhere so I decided to make a blanket with the left overs and any scraps I have left (or that my mom gives me). It's actually turning into a pretty cute blanket that is going to be well loved when it is finished, but it's proving to be a slow process. It is such a mix match of colors and I love it!

I spent most of Sunday on my run, which made for a long morning/afternoon of running. Good thing I love it and enjoy doing it... 

But, it was worth it to finish and get dressed for my late evening. Last week I had a very lucky day. It had been raining that morning when I went for my 10 mile run and I enjoyed every minute of it. That night I drove to my parents to pick up Isabel's rain jacket and then to head to Patrick's parents house for dinner. On the way to my parents the sun peeked through the clouds and I suggested to Isabel that we look for a rainbow and as I turned my head to the left there was a beautiful, perfect rainbow. We could see it from one side to the other and could see both sides touch the ground. It was amazing and I was in awe and may have teared up.. It wasn't long after that I heard on the radio that there was going to be a win time at 4:35 to win tickets to see A Great Big World and Ingrid Michaelson in concert. I had already tried to buy tickets to this concert and I couldn't find two seats together so I was disappointed to think I would miss seeing her again, but when I heard they were giving tickets away I knew I had to try to call and win. Isabel and I sat in the car waiting for them to say it was time to call. We were both excited when the phone rang when I called, but it picked up and we were immediately disconnected. So I told her that we would call back one more time and then we would go inside for dinner. I called back and it started to ring, so we crossed our fingers repeating "caller 20, caller 20..." They picked up and we won! I didn't even think to wait after I gave them my information to hear myself on the radio, but I know my voice was shaking and probably sounded really excited. It's one thing to win something, it's another thing to win tickets to see your favorite artist in concert.


I could go into detail, but instead I will say that my next purchase on iTunes will be A Great Big World, and seeing Ingrid live again has really made me love her more. I have decided that I am going to try to see her in concert as often as I can. She doesn't tour often and it seems like it's even more rare for her to be on the west coast, but I need to make it happen whenever she is here. 




The concert was the night before Ingrid's birthday and her band mates brought her out a cake and we all got to sing happy birthday to her. How cool is that?! 

Here's to another great week. I'm hoping to get in my two planned strength workouts on Wednesday and Friday. Our office Christmas lunch is Friday. I'm taking Isabel to a Christmas event at the library with my sister and niece on Saturday, and Sunday is Santa to the Sea, half marathon #13 for the year. I'm also hoping to finish my Christmas shopping and crafting this week and to start wrapping presents and putting them under our tree. It's going to be a busy and fabulous week, I can tell..

No comments:

Post a Comment