Sunday, December 21, 2014

A Perfect Week

As I mentioned before, I'm not shooting for perfection when it comes to my workout schedule. I've tried that before and all that happens is I put too much pressure on myself and end up sick, injured or burnt out. 

This time around I'm working towards progress, meaning that I do more workouts compared to those skipped, and I allow myself to celebrate the successes that happen while forgiving the missed workouts. 

This past week I had the following scheduled:

Sunday- Santa to the Sea half marathon
Monday- cross: walk/bike
Tuesday- walk, strength: 30 Day Shred Level 1
Wednesday- cross: walk/bike, run
Thursday- walk, strength: 30 Day Shred Level 1 
Friday- cross: walk 5 miles, bike
Saturday- walk 6 miles

Actual: 

Sunday- Santa to the Sea half marathon
Monday- 2.04 mile walk, 2.04 mile walk, 3.01 mile walk, 30 minutes bike
Tuesday- 1.35 mile walk, 2.57 mile walk, 30 Day Shred Level 1
Wednesday- 2.04 mile walk, 2.41 mile run, 35 minutes bike
Thursday- 2.04 mile walk, 2.04 mile walk, 30 Day Shred Level 1
Friday- 2.04 mile walk, 2.19 mile walk, 1.12 mile walk
Saturday- 3.17 mile walk, 3.02 mile run

I had to push my stationary bike cross training from Friday to Saturday as our Friday night plans went a lot longer than I had anticipated, but I stayed flexible and still completed it. Everything else was completed as scheduled. Progress!

What's even better is that I'm feeling better, stronger, happier. Endorphins!!

I had planned to walk the 6 miles on Saturday all at once, but I got an email from my sister asking about a race in April. She retired from running after the Mammoth half marathon, and I have really missed running with her, so I jumped at the opportunity to run the Hollywood Half with her again on April 11th. Her training started Saturday with a 3 mile run, so I decided to split my 6 mile walk up into a 3 mile walk and a 3 mile run. 

Camper and I got up early Saturday morning and walked around the block, adding a little less than a mile of running intervals towards the end. Then I headed to my sisters house where we ran together. My niece even came along with us! 

Today was a 10 mile solo run. It's been awhile since I've pushed myself on speed, and this was not the weekend to attempt my normal push pace of 12:30 miles. Not with another race next weekend, and one with a shorter time limit. And especially not with Dopey being less than 3 weeks away. (Eek!)

So I decided to set a goal to stay between 13:30-14 minute miles, but secretly I wanted to be closer to 13 minute miles overall. My other goal-ish was to have every even mile be faster than the odd mile before it, which I successfully did. 

Mile 1- 13:34
Mile 2- 13:29
Mile 3- 13:16
Mile 4- 12:48
Mile 5- 13:03
Mile 6- 13:01
Mile 7- 13:12
Mile 8- 13:06
Mile 9- 13:01
Mile 10- 12:34
Total distance- 10.08
Total time- 2:12:17
Avg pace- 13:07

I'm so excited for next weekend to run race #14 of the year. I am anticipating tears. It's not often I set a goal for myself, reach it and celebrate it. Usually, if I reach the goal, I end up thinking about how others have already done it and done it better. I think about the next goal. I think about everything but the fact that I completed it and should be proud. 

This time I'm already proud and I haven't even started the race yet.. 

I'm proud of my running past and am thinking about a remodel of my garage/gym. After it was turned into Santa's workshop a couple months ago I haven't been using it as a gym other than the bike a couple times. Now it's time to turn it back into a workout space that shows off my accomplishments over the past (almost) 5 years. I want to print pictures and find a better way to hang my bibs and medals. 

This next week is going to be crazy with the holiday celebrations starting on Tuesday, but I'm going to try to get in as much as I possibly can from what's scheduled. Even if it means early mornings and/or late nights. 

No comments:

Post a Comment