Friday, July 3, 2015

July Goal

I've missed being active, but at the same time the thought of going back to my old workout schedule is exhausting. 

I've always been the type of person to do all or nothing. I'm either working out 7 days a week or not at all. There's never been a balance.

I need to finally realize that it doesn't have to be that way. I can do a 30 minute workout three times a week and have that be enough for now. It doesn't define me in any way, shape, or form.

So I simply want to push myself to workout 15 times this month. No set schedule. No set number of days to run, cross train, or strength train. If I write it on my calendar as a day I have time to workout, but plans change or I don't feel like doing anything- I won't. If I feel like doing cardio in the morning but get home from work and do a DVD instead- great.

There was no need to put as much pressure on myself as I was, and the only result from doing that was being completely unmotivated to do anything for the past few months. The complete opposite of what I wanted to have happen.  

So, what's changed this time?

For one, my mindset. I am in a completely different place and it not only makes me realize how differently I want this to go, but it also helps me to appreciate every step along the way. 

I think that's probably the most important change that I'm making.

I refused to celebrate the little steps along the way because I didn't think they were important. But this time I am. I was excited to go out and walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes on Wednesday. I was excited this morning to go out and ride the stationary bike for 30 minutes this morning. I'm celebrating those as successes because they are.

I've also decided to pay myself to workout. $1 for every workout and an additional $1 for every 10 minutes of that workout. I've already earned $8 for July and it's only the 3rd day of the month!


I'm only scheduling two weeks at a time because that's how far in advance I get Patrick's work schedule. I want to schedule 3-5 workouts a week. If I do less, no big deal. If I do more, no big deal. 

To be honest, I'm glad my focus has changed from 100% fitness and 0% nutrition to 85% nutrition and 15% fitness. Now it feels less like a chore and more like something I do because I want to and because I enjoy it. 

I'm hoping to find that this is a better balance for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment