Friday, August 21, 2015

My Next Big Adventure

Patrick and I have had many conversations about how to get out of debt faster so that we can build up our savings. We're always working on both, and in the grand scheme of things or debt isn't that bad.. But it is debt and I hate it all the same.

Our conversations usually end with both of us having no idea what to do. Besides not spending on unnecessary items and putting the credit cards away we've been at a loss.

Neither of us go to Starbucks often (if at all), we don't have gym memberships, we don't subscribe to magazines or newspapers, I don't get mani's and pedi's, etc.. 

We did go through a short phase a few months ago that we both spent a little more than necessary, but we both got back on track pretty quickly. 

We also spent quite a bit when Patrick had to fly to Colorado to visit a friend who was in a coma, and then we both drove a few weeks later for the funeral. 

Things happen. I'm not expecting us to completely stop living or to expect no emergencies to happen. But, at the same time, our savings are now all but drained and it's becoming more difficult to live paycheck by paycheck.

After a discussion about future plans, the goal to get out of debt and build up savings has become my #1 priority (more so than before).. 

Unfortunately neither of us can get a second job. Patrick works in retail, and although he is the manager and does the schedule, it's not realistic for him to have a set schedule. On top of that, our time with the big kids is sporadic already, adding a second job to his schedule would mean even less time. As for me, I currently work 8:30-5. My commute to pick up Isabel is approximately 30 minutes on a good day. If I were to get a second job, I wouldn't be home until at least 10 or so. And my weekends would be non-existent. When would I spend time with Isabel and Patrick? 

So, while driving to Colorado I made the decision to try to find a job where I could work from home as a way to have a small second income to go towards debt. I've thought about this before, but have always felt like the postings were get rich quick schemes and/or not legitimate. 

So, while working on a blanket that I am making for my mom:


While driving through the Rocky Mountains:


I decided to start a side business crocheting baby blankets:


Thanks to some very good friends, I'm already starting to get orders and I'm working hard to get them all done quickly. I'm staying organized by getting need by dates and working on them in that order. 

My first completed order:


My second order in progress:


I'm really hoping that I can make something out of this.. My goal is to work on the custom orders I've already received and then work on making a bunch to place on Etsy to sell. 

I'm excited to see where this adventure takes me!

No comments:

Post a Comment