Friday, March 27, 2015

Thirty, Flirty and Thriving

Last year on my 29th birthday I made a "Thirty for 30" list. A list of thirty goals I wanted to accomplish before my 30th birthday.

Here's the list: 
1. Learn to drive a stick shift
2. Take a pottery class
3. Complete a cross stitch
4. Get out of credit card debt
5. Complete a coloring book
6. Take a cake decorating class
7. Organize photos into albums
8. Go to dinner by myself
9. Take a yoga class
10. Ride Lex Luthor's Drop of Doom
11. See Ingrid Michaelson in concert
12. Complete Jillian Michael's Body Revolution
13. Make our apartment feel more like a home
14. Complete the "Dopey Challenge"
15. Complete a 50K
16. See the Harlom Globtrotters
17. Reach my goal weight
18. Write a letter to myself to open in 10 years
19. Clean out my closet
20. Find a new job
21. Send Christmas cards to family and friends
22. Go on a weekend alone
23. Paint a canvas
24. Go GoKart Racing
25. Spend a day at the beach

26. Run intervals all the way up Erbes Rd (1 mile straight uphill)
27. Finish a blanket (crochet)
28. Read every book by Jodi Picoult: Songs of the Humpback Whale, Harvesting the Heart, Picture Perfect, Mercy, The Pact, Keeping Faith, Plain Truth, Salem Falls, Perfect Match, Second Glance,  My Sister's Keeper, Vanishing Acts, The Tenth Circle, Nineteen Minutes, Wonder Woman, Change of Heart, Handle With Care, House Rules, Over the Moon, Sing You Home, Lone Wolf, Between the Lines, The Storyteller
29. Run a half or full marathon in another state
30. Go on a spontaneous road trip

This is what I accomplished:
1. Learn to drive a stick shift- didn't really learn to the point that I could drive on the streets, but Patrick did give me one lesson and was impressed.
4. Get out of credit card debt- getting out of debt was doable this time last year but then we made a huge purchase and that changed. I'm highly impressed with the debt we have paid off though.
11. See Ingrid Michaelson in concert- Twice :)
13. Make our apartment feel more like a home- big time fail.. Because I made our house feel more like a home!!
14. Complete the "Dopey Challenge"- finished.
16. See the Harlom Globtrotters- saw them in February
19. Clean out my closet- a few times.
21. Send Christmas cards to family and friends- sent!
29. Run a half or full marathon in another state- Vegas Baby!!!

Not bad, but I definitely didn't get close to completing the list. Which got me thinking.. 

Why do I keep doing this to myself? I mean, I get the point of goals, but clearly I don't get how to actually do them. That's not going to stop me though, because one day I will set a goal that I stick to.

The idea of turning thirty has been on my mind for a while. I'll admit to having a mini meltdown shortly after turning 29, but that didn't last long when I realized how awesome my thirties are going to be. 

I think part of what's throwing me for a loop is that I really do not feel like I'm about to be 30. Early to mid 20's? Sure! 30? No way. I guess that's a good thing though.. 

Maybe it's because my life hasn't played out quite how I imagined. Although it never really does for anyone I believe. You can make plans but it doesn't mean it will work out that way. What's important is looking back and being thankful for the experiences you did have. 

So, with that, I am making one goal for my thirties. One thing that I want to accomplish, and get in the habit of, is taking better care of myself- mentally, physically, emotionally, financially. 

I need to find the things that make me the happiest and do them, get them, be around them. The things that bring me down? See ya!! I don't have time for that negativity in my life.. 

I'm excited to see what is in store for me and my family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment