Monday, March 16, 2015

LA Marathon 2015- Race Recap

I have been trying to think of the "right" words to describe the race yesterday, but there are no right words. The words that come to mind are hot, humid and amazing..

I have never been very good at recapping a race because by the time I get home I'm too exhausted to do anything and by the next day I've forgotten everything I thought about along the course. I need to remember to start recording my thoughts during the race..

I won't bore you with the details, not just because I can't remember what happened at what mile, but because it really wasn't that eventful of a race, other than the fact that it was the best marathon I have run to date. And not just because I (SPOILER ALERT) PR'd, but because it seemed to go by really fast.

So, instead of trying to rack my exhausted post marathon brain more than I already have today while at work, I will instead highlight what I remember from the course.

1. I forgot to put on sunscreen before I left the house. We got up early and left at 4:30 to drive to Dodger Stadium. On the way there I remembered the one thing I forgot to do that morning. With high temperatures in the near future I panicked a little because I did not want or need a sunburn. Thankfully, while sitting at the start I saw someone putting on sunscreen and asked for some. He explained that last year he forgot to bring sunscreen and someone helped him out, so he was paying it forward by bringing a bottle to the start, which he would then leave at the start, but he wanted to share with other runners if needed. It is now my turn to pay it forward..

2. It never fails to see a group of men standing on the hill as you exit Dodger Stadium using said hill as their personal restroom. Because, apparently, the hundreds of porto-potties are not enough. It's hilarious and frustrating at the same time, mostly because it also never fails that I have that urge around mile one and can't simply go to the hill.

3. My mom text me around mile 4. It was already warm out, but not nearly as bad as I was anticipating. She asked me to text her at every mile, and for whatever reason the miles were flying by and it felt like I was texting her a lot. She kept telling me that I was rocking it and to be careful. I love how much she cares.

4. I also consistently text Patrick, my sister and my best friend along the way.

5. My sister text me around 9:30 asking how I was doing. I told her I was at mile 11 and she asked if I could see the El Capitan theater. I didn't think anything of it and told her I was approaching Highland. Little did I know that she and my niece had come out to cheer me on. I passed by as she recorded me. I yelled out "What are you doing here??", grabbed the bag of pretzels she brought for me and went on my way. I later text her how much it meant to me that she had shown up to support me, but I regret not saying it to them when I was there. I guess the finish line was calling my name at that point and I wasn't all there mentally. However, it meant more to me than words can ever express. Seeing her there to support me and the hobby that she introduced me to really gave me an extra push and I am forever grateful for her.

6. Spectators and volunteers are amazing. High fives from random strangers and people cheering for you that you have never met before can help when you aren't physically or mentally there to keep pushing forward. Little acts such as calling out what was on my running shirt (Run Free) or giving out handfuls of ice were amazing acts of kindness that will not be forgotten. At some point I need to be a spectator and will hopefully be volunteering soon!

7. Running by the Veterans Hospital is a very special experience because of how important it is. This is not forgotten as I complain about the heat during this very unshaded part of the course that had me doubting myself and my ability to finish.

8. I really thought I would hit my wall at mile 17, like I did last year. Instead I feel as though I didn't quite hit a wall, but had some mental toughness to break through between miles 20-23 with the heat. The people spraying us with hoses and providing ice helped cool me down and I continued to stay as hydrated as I could through each water station.

9. Turning onto Ocean Avenue is quite an experience. You're almost to mile 26, but you can't quite see the finish line yet. There are a ton of spectators as you approach the finish and they are all cheering. It's such an incredible feeling to know you are so close to being done and to think back to what you just did.

10. Walking another half mile or more after finishing 26.2 (or 26.57 per my watch) miles is NOT enjoyable. I understand your body needs to keep moving, but it's so ready to stop that at some point you are sure you're just going to forget how to walk.





















I knew that in order to PR I would need to maintain 13:20 minute miles consistently throughout the entire race. I had told myself last week to back off the idea of a PR and to just run the race at a comfortable pace, but Saturday night I decided that if that comfortable pace happened to be at or under 13:20 then I wouldn't be holding back and I would attempt for the PR. I knew pretty early on that if I was able to continue the way I was going then I would definitely achieve the PR and reach the goal of a finishing time of 5:50 or earlier. Either I was wearing lucky clothes or the stars were aligned, or the 45:1 pace pushed me, or something...
M1- 13:01
M2- 12:46
M3- 13:07
M4- 12:46
M5- 13:17
M6- 13:07
M7- 12:50
M8- 12:39
M9- 12:47
M10- 12:53
M11- 12:45
M12- 13:07
M13- 13:00
M14- 12:48
M15- 12:58
M16- 12:54
M17- 13:06
M18- 12:59
M19- 13:05
M20- 13:20
M21- 13:08
M22- 13:27
M23- 13:44
M24- 13:47
M25- 13:28
M26- 13:11
Total distance- 26.57
Total time- 5:47:19
Avg pace- 13:04


I finished my watch and text my family that I had finished when my sister text me back with the following: 


I didn't know before the race that she had been tracking me, but she had text me at the 30K point with my estimated finish time and average pace. It was a good push to see what I could do. At the 30K point my estimated finish time was 5:44:15 and my pace was 13:08. I'm pretty impressed that I was pretty darn close to that estimation, considering I slowed down a bit between miles 22-25.

Overall, I have to say that I'm really glad I chose to complete this marathon even though my motivation wavered for a bit. I had told myself that if I PR'd at the LA Marathon then I wouldn't have to do either of the upcoming marathons I had signed up for if the training proved to suck the fun out of running again.

Training for this race really made me realize that my distance is a half marathon. It's a lot less of a commitment when it comes to training and a lot less time away from my family. It's also a lot easier on my body.

I am still riding the runners high from yesterday, so no decisions will be made in the near future regarding the Mountains 2 Beach Marathon in May or the Santa Barbara Veterans Day Marathon in November. I have made no decisions on either of them and do not plan to make any decisions until much closer to race day. Just knowing the pressure is off regarding speed/pace and the fact that I am not committing to them 100% makes it easier to imagine myself completing them, just on my own standards. It feels doable and enjoyable.

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures from the race and I really hope that they got a good shot at the finish line. I know they have photographers at the finish line, but with 22,333 finishers it's difficult to get everyone. Here's hoping there's at least one good shot from some point in the race.

Today will be a "rest" day. No planned workouts, however I do want to spend a short amount of time working my muscles on the treadmill at a SLOW pace as well as a short amount of time on an easy setting on the stationary bike. Just to keep moving and not allow my legs to stiffen up as they tend to do when I sit all day at work.

And in 12 short days I will be participating in the Chesebro Half Marathon. I promise to not attempt a PR on this one..

No comments:

Post a Comment