Tuesday, March 10, 2015

My Game Plan for Sunday

I had originally planned to go out Sunday with the hopes of a PR. 5 hours 50 minutes was my goal. 13:20 pace. It would be a push to attempt for 26.2 miles, but felt doable. I at least wanted to try.

Then I checked the weather forecast and it showed a high of 91* for Sunday.. 

It has since gone down to 86*, but the weather advisory is still in place:

Record breaking heat.. Not ideal running weather. 

Thankfully the marathon committee is making some changes- including an earlier start time, cooling buses along the course and additional supplies along the course- to name a few. There will be medics at every even mile starting at mile 6 and ice will be provided along the course to help cool off. 

Their email suggests not going out fast, but instead to enjoy the course and take your time. Not what I had originally planned, but a much better idea considering the heat. 

New goal? Finish. 

Game plan? Attempt the 45:1 intervals at a slow and steady pace. Use this race as a training run for my marathon in May. Walk every single water station, no matter what. Stay fueled and hydrated. Do not be stubborn if I feel overheated or dizzy, there is no shame in a DNF. Be proud of myself for showing up to the start line.

I had wanted to PR at this race so that I didn't feel obligated to run the next two marathons if I wasn't feeling up to it. But clearly I am meant to run at least one of them. 

PR or not, I'm proud of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment