Saturday, June 21, 2014

Training Plan- Week of 6/15 - 6/21

I have never been as focused as I feel like I am right now. I am focused on weight loss, on training, on my health and on so many other areas in my life. 

Training is important for so many reasons. Running during the week helps improve my speed and my stamina for the long distance runs on the weekends. Strength training helps to tone my body and make it stronger, which makes running easier. Cross training helps because it gives the muscles I use by running a break while working on other important muscles. And a rest day is important because everyone needs a day to recharge. 


I haven't been this focused in a long time and I really have not focused this closely on the different elements of a training plan the way I am now. Normally I just do a workout to burn calories to eat more. Now I'm focused on the benefits of what those exercises can do for my running and I am using those extra calories I burn for healthier foods with the occasional splurge.

This week was the first week I made a workout plan. It was a little different then what the rest of the schedule looks like through January since I was out of town, but I made it work. It also starts on Wednesday instead of Sunday because that's when the motivation started. 

Schedule:
Sunday 6/15- n/a

Monday 6/16- n/a

Tuesday 6/17- n/a

Wednesday 6/18- 2.04 miles (1 mile interval run, 1.04 mile walk), 1.34 mile walk

Thursday 6/19- vacation 

Friday 6/20- vacation workout two

Saturday 6/21- vacation workout one, horseback riding

Actual:
Sunday 6/15- 

Monday 6/16- 2.04 mile walk, 1.34 mile walk

Tuesday 6/17- 2.04 miles (1 mile interval run, 1.04 mile walk), 1.34 mile walk, 1.68 mile interval run

Wednesday 6/18- 2.04 mile walk, 1.34 mile walk

Thursday 6/19- 3.16 mile interval run, 2.32 mile interval run

Friday 6/20- 1.52 mile hike, workout two

Saturday 6/21- 90 minutes horseback riding

Strength training workouts one & two:


Workout two:
10 of each- pliƩ squats, regular squats, forward lunges, side lunges, calf raises, donkey kicks, fire hydrant, hip raises, outer leg raises, inner leg raises, 30 second plank, regular crunches, bicycle crunches, reverse crunches

25 of each- jumping jacks, mountain climbers

10 of each- pliĆ© squats, regular squats, forward lunges, side lunges, calf raises

25 of each- butt kicks, knee highs

10 of each- donkey kicks, fire hydrant, hip raises, outer leg raises, inner leg raises, 30 second plank, regular crunches, bicycle crunches, reverse crunches

25- plank jumps

Workout one:
10 of each- push-ups, burpees, chest press, fly, alt press, wide rows, lateral raise, Tricep kickbacks, Arnold press, plank, regular crunches, bicycle crunch, reverse crunch

25 of each- jumping jacks, mountain climbers

10 of each- push-ups, burpees, chest press, fly, alt press


25 of each- butt kicks, knee highs

10 of each- wide rows, lateral raise, Tricep kickbacks, Arnold press, plank, regular crunches, bicycle crunch, reverse crunch

25- plank jumps

I burned just over 300 calories doing workout two and 0 calories doing workout one as I was pretty sore from horseback riding and yesterday's workout. I think the elevation may have something to do with how high my heart rate was and how many calories I burned with workout two.

We're in Mammoth for the half marathon tomorrow, so I would much rather skip one strength workout and be more prepared for tomorrow then do the workout and be more sore in the morning. I'm not sure I'm preparing the right way though..




Carbing up, right?

This half marathon is the one I've been looking forward to the most all year. I am excited to finalley be halfway through my half marathon goal for the year, but I am also excited because this has been our family vacation spot almost every year since I can remember so running here is a dream come true and really special.

The elevation on the other hand has been something to get used to as well as the lack of sleep, but more on Mammoth later (especially after the race and when I can upload pictures).

For now I'll just say that regarding my training plan, I am proud of myself for doing what I've done, especially while on vacation. I've stayed active and have eaten better than I normally do when I'm out of town. Hopefully it all pays off at weigh in as well as for a starting base to my training schedule. 

To be honest, I'm a little proud of myself for what I've done while here and how I'm treating my body. Of course a splurge here and there has helped me enjoy the vacation and life and the balance has been liveable and enjoyable.

Onto the next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment