Monday, June 23, 2014

"Any Day is a Perfect Day...

For Shoe Shopping!"

I am not a running expert. I will never claim to be. If you are considering starting a running program or if you are experiencing some issues even though you have been running for a while I would suggest seeking medical assistance and a professionals opinion.

There are a lot of helpful running tips out there that I have read, used and would suggest. However, since I started running  in 2010, there has been one thing that has been the most important to keep me going.


Being fitted for running shoes was something I was stubborn about for far too long. I figured I had seen success buying shoes from Kohl's and didn't see a necessity in spending over $100 on shoes. I had completed my first half and full marathon and many other races in a pair of bright blue shoes I had found in the department store and had luck with many others up until the pair I had chosen to run my second marathon in. 
 

The morning of our last long distance training run was 3 weeks before the marathon (March 17, 2013). The plan was to run the full distance of 26.2 miles. 

I made it to mile 19 before I could not go any further. It was a painful run up until that point but I had reached my limit and decided 1. To stop the training run at mile 19 and be picked up 2. To not run the LA Marathon and 3. To stop running altogether. 




I sat on a wall while my sister finished her run and went to get the car. I called my mom and cried while I sweared that I was done running. I was quitting. There was nothing anyone could do or say to make me change my mind. 

Then I calmed down and rationally listened to the most important piece of advice. "Get fitted for shoes." 

Of course I made up excuses first: there isn't enough time to break them in before the race and that could do damage, they are too expensive, etc. But then I decided to test it out and I went, got fitted and found my pair of shoes.


I wore them as much as I could up until the marathon to try to break them in and to get used to them. The longest distance I was able to run before the race was 5 or so miles, not nearly an ideal distance to train in new shoes before attempting not only 26.2 miles but also attempting to PR. 
 

I am what most runners would consider a slower runner (more on this topic later) but I just consider myself a runner. I get out to train, I give it my all and I set goals for myself. My speed is where I feel comfortable and what works for me. My goal for this particular marathon was to finish under 6 hours.


I pushed myself. I doubted myself. I hit a wall. I shed a couple tears. I read a shirt that said "the voices in your head are all liars" and pushed harder. I believed. 


I saw my family and started crying again. This time tears of joy.


I had reached my goal. I had pushed past my comfort zone and it paid off.


Of course immediately after the race I swore off running again. But that only lasted a day or two before the runners amnesia kicked in and I was back to signing up for races and setting goals for myself. 

 

Since then I have purchased the same pair of shoes every time I've needed to replace them (every 300-500 miles depending on how the miles were earned- walking or running). I even found a great deal at one point and purchased three pairs online. I do this because I know what works and what keeps my feet happy. I don't want to risk injuring my feet or have that same feeling of wanting to quit again. I do what I need to to make it work.

Unfortunately, I think they have discountinued my particular pair of shoes and it might be time to be refitted. At least this time I know the benefits of having it done professionally.

Being fitted for running shoes would be my first suggestion if you've been holding out for any reason. The right pair of shoes can save your feet and your love of running.

No comments:

Post a Comment