Thursday, June 26, 2014

"A Goal Without a Plan is Just a Wish"

I love setting goals for myself. They tend to be big goals that push me to step out of my comfort zone in order to achieve them.


The problem? I tend to not reach most of the goals I set for myself, and the ones I do reach I don't give myself enough credit for because I begin to think about the people who have already accomplished the same goal or more. It's never enough.

I am learning how to accept myself for who I am and to give myself the credit I deserve for the goals I have achieved and am working towards. I'm also learning to not be too upset when goals are not reached, for whatever reason. 

 
I'm not going to look back and review all of the goals that I set for myself for the new year as I know that I have not and will not be able to achieve them all. There is no point to look at the could have/would have/should have. Instead I want to set some goals (and continue the two that I've continued to work on all year) for the next half of the year because it's never a bad time to set a goal for yourself.

These are the goals that I have/would like to set for myself. They are mostly weight loss, running and fitness related, but there are also a few life/family related goals. I've decided on my top 10 to work on for now, but I'm sure I'll come up with more along the way and some may change along the way. The important thing is to appreciate the journey, try my very best to achieve them, celebrate each and every success and forgive the slip ups/failures.

Goals:
1. Run and/or walk 1250 miles in a year.
2. Complete 14 half marathons in 2014.
3. Get out of credit card debt and build up savings.
4. Complete the "Dopey Challenge"  (48.6 miles in 4 days- 5K, 10K, half, full).
5. Reach a healthy weight and BMI.
6. Bake more and try new recipes.
7. Set up garage into a gym.
8. Follow chore chart as closely as possible.
9. Help Patrick grow a fruit, vegetable and herb garden in the backyard.
10. Continue to blog and make attainable blog goals each month, reach over 50 followers.
My plan for now is to check in next month with an update on where I am on these goals and to put a plan in place for those that I have not made any progress on. I am pretty sure that if I set my mind to these goals then there is nothing that can stop me, including myself. I don't have a specific timeline on most of these for them to be completed by, but I do want to see progress.

Even when the motivation stops to work on them, when it seems tedious because I'm bored working towards the same goals constantly, I will still be moving forward because I know that it's worth it to work towards something, to improve myself, to reach further and higher.

The main thing I need to work on is not necessarily reaching the goals, but celebrating them when they are reached. I'm a work in progress and I'm learning along the way..

No comments:

Post a Comment