Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Weigh In

Starting weight: 183.8
Goal weight: 163.8
Last weeks weight: 184.6
Current weight: 181.2
Current +/-: -3.4
Total +/-: -2.6
BMI: 26.8


Well, this was a pleasant surprise from the past two days of being conscious of my food intake. I wasn't going to mention what I've been doing yet, for fear of not following through, but I may as well be open and honest to hold myself accountable and then share my experience as planned. 

February 1st, while out running 5 miles with my sister, I decided that I have had enough with being overweight. I've had enough of the mind games. I've had enough of the roller coaster that is my weight history. 

I started thinking about what has worked in the past and remembered that almost a decade ago I cut out carbs and lost a lot of weight.. 

That's not a possibility right now. Running long distance will be difficult without carbs, but it doesn't mean I need to be eating the amount of carbs that I have been eating. In fact, I've fallen back into that mindset of "I ran x amount of miles this week, I can eat what I want". Not good.. At all.. 

So, I simply decided that I would start a low carb/low calorie experiment, staying under 2,000 calories per day (no matter how many I burn) and under 200 grams of carbs. Here's where it gets flexible for me- I have decided that when I have a run coming up that is anything over 6 miles I can go over the 200 grams and 2000 calories, within reason, on Thursday's (to carbo-load) and Saturday's (to have some extra carbs before the run and to have some extra calories after the run). The main focus being WITHIN REASON. 

I plan on using these extra carbs with brown rice, whole wheat pasta, oatmeal, etc. Complex carbs. Healthy. Saturday's may be my splurge day, where I eat whatever I'm craving after that long run. I don't want to reward myself with food or think that because I ran x miles I can eat unhealthy foods, but at the same time, if I deprive myself all the time then I will eventually fall off the wagon and go way overboard. 

I feel as though this may be a good balance for me. Or at least a good experiment to try for the month of February and hopefully longer. 

I weighed myself Monday morning for my experiment update and was at 185.4, so between eating low carb for two days (I know, not enough time to show a real loss), drinking more water and overall being healthy and active, I am already down 4.2 pounds from that initial weigh in. 

If that's not motivation to stick with this, then I don't know what is!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment