Friday, August 29, 2014

2015 Running Goal

I wanted to decide on a goal for next year. Running goals keep me motivated and I really like pushing myself to see what I can do.

I am doing really well with my goals for 2014. I really like making progress towards these goals and I'm going to be really excited when I reach them.

All I knew for my goal for next year was that I didn't want to have a certain number of races that I wanted to complete. Everything else was fair game. I just wasn't sure exactly what I wanted to do though. Something new, something special.

I decided to head to Facebook to ask for suggestions. The first one was "the one". The goal that will be what I attempt to accomplish next year.

The suggestion was to pick a place and find the distance between where I live and that place. Once I reach the number of miles from point A to point B I then treat myself on a trip to that place. I knew if I were going to make this my goal it would need to be some place that wouldn't be too expensive to get to and I wanted it to be special. My first thought was to find out where my grandfather was buried.

All I knew was that he was buried in Missouri, so I asked my mom exactly where. Of course, by asking her it brought on her curiosity of why I needed to know. The surprise I had planned lasted a total of 2 minutes...

It is 1702 miles from here to there. 4.66 miles every day over the course of a year.

$1 for every 1 mile that I walk and/or run. $1702 to help with the cost of gas, hotels, food, etc. 

The chance to take my mom to visit her dad's gravesite that she hasn't been to since he died in 1989. The headstone that she has never seen in person.

It's going to be such a push for me to complete those miles throughout the year. I'm not doing it just more me, I'm doing it because I really want to do this for her. What an adventure it would be!

Hopefully the following races next year will help me get there:
January 8-11, 2015- Tracy's Dose of Dopey
March 15, 2015- LA Marathon
April 12, 2015- Hollywood Half Marathon???
April 26, 2015- Ojai Half
May 24, 2015- Mountains to Beach Marathon
June 21, 2015- Mammoth Half Marathon

Race miles and training miles. That's how I'm going to get the mileage. That plus dedication and commitment. I'm ready for this chance to prove to myself that I can do this, not just for me, but to do this for my mom would be so special. I would be able to help her cross an item off of her bucket list. 

How cool is that!?! 

4 more months until the new goal starts. 4 more months to work on the current ones. Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment