Sunday, January 18, 2015

Starting the Streak Over

Not the running streak. I know that wouldn't end well because of my hip. Plus, I haven't gone out for a run since last Sunday.. 

No, this streak is related to myfitnesspal and the number of days I have logged on/tracked in a row. 

This is just one of the features I love about the website and it keeps me logging in every morning. But, sometimes that's all I do, just to keep the streak going. I have a really bad habit of tracking breakfast, lunch and snacks (especially during the week) and then going overboard at dinner and, feeling guilty, I choose to not track so that I don't see that negative number. 

I'm not going to get anywhere with that mentality. In fact, I know that tracking is the number one habit that I can do and that will help the most. It's simple enough to log on a computer or use my phone to track, and yet I let the fear of going over stop me. What's the point if I'm not going to be honest with myself? What's the point if I'm not going to give it my all? 

After 86 days of logging in I decided to end my streak yesterday by not tracking anything. I felt like the streak was a lie. I didn't want to celebrate each time my status automatically updated with how many days I had logged in in a row. So I started over with day one today.

My hope is to go into it with a fresh mindset and to do it right this time. To track accurately, even if I go over. To use my heart rate monitor when I workout to get an accurate calorie burn, no matter how many watches and contraptions I'm wearing (GPS watch, HRM strap and watch, interval timer, pedometer, etc). Choosing healthier options but not depriving myself when a craving hits, but using portion control. And measuring, because I know my 4 Tbsp of creamer I was using in the mornings was not really 4 Tbsp. 

My goal for now is to just get into the habit of tracking. Every single bite. Then, after I weigh in in 10 days I will choose something else to work on. Something small and easy enough to add on top of tracking. Each weigh in I will add something new because I think 2 weeks will be a good amount of time to work on something new. 

I know I can do this. I just have to get out of my own way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment