Sunday, October 12, 2014

Race Recap- RAD 10 Miler

I signed up for th RAD 10 Miler race about two weeks ago when I got an email for 15% off the entry price. It's a race I've wanted to complete for a few years now, but the first year I knew about the race was the weekend Patrick and I got married and last year we went away for our anniversary.

This year it still fell on our anniversary weekend, but we didn't go away this year so I decided to register. I knew it was going to be a challenge, and I knew I wouldn't have much time to train.


I drove the course on Friday in an attempt to prepare myself for what I was about to put myself through. It did the opposite though and I ended up more nervous than I already was about the hills, telling myself that there was no way I would be able to do it and no way I would finish in the time limit provided of 2.5 hours (15 minute miles). 

But I woke up yesterday morning ready to challenge myself. My main goal being to finish, but I also wanted to push myself and attempt to stay under 13 minute miles to finish in 2 hours 10 minutes. 

It was a perfect morning. I was worried it would be warm but it was a little chilly, perfect running conditions. 




The course was amazing, and it's courses like this that I'm grateful to be a slower runner. It gives me a chance to appreciate my surroundings. 

I maintained my intervals the entire way, telling myself at each hill that 1. It's only 30 seconds of running at a time 2. It will be over eventually and 3. On the way back it will be downhill. Unfortunately that also meant that all the downhill on the first half would be uphill during the second half. 

I told myself that no matter what happened I needed to listen to my body. If I needed to walk more, I could. If I needed to walk an entire hill, no shame. But I was feeling so great yesterday that I just kept going. 30 seconds at a time. And I made it. 


I was able to keep each mile under 13 minute miles and finished in 2:06:09. 








There were a total of 99 runners in the 10 miler. I finished as number 98. There's something pretty cool about being a back of the pack runner. The support I received from the front of the pack runners as the ran by me on their way to the finish, as well as the cheers I received from the police officers and volunteers was pretty special and so appreciated. I was having a great run, and I think it showed on my face as I couldn't stop smiling. 



I felt like this race was a challenge to myself. I've done the distance before and I've run hills before, but I purposefully do not run races with this many hills. I don't know why though. I was able to prove to myself yesterday that I can do what I set out to do. And I am proud.

Finally.

No comments:

Post a Comment