Monday, September 1, 2014

You Can't Outrun a Bad Diet

I've had the long, ongoing internal debate about which is more important- nutrition or exercise. I go back and forth in what I find to be the better of the two and I go all or nothing with whatever I feel is going to provide more success.

Sometimes I'm focused on one of the two for awhile, most of the time I go back and forth weekly. 

I'm finally starting to realize that for me I need, and can have, both.

I am addicted to running and have been enjoying getting in some other types of exercises as well. I know that I need to work more on the nutrition side and eat healthier foods, but I'm figuring that out slowly.

I'm also realizing that I don't need to throw the whole day out the window just because I'm still making unhealthy food choices. I had a terrible day food-wise. Sugary cereal, snacky foods, pizza, popcorn, candy, ice cream.. I came home and was ready to just call it a night. I didn't have the energy, sun was going down, I already ruined the day and therefore the month with my bad eating so there was no point, blah blah blah..

Then my husband told me that it was all bullshit. That I told him I had to run tonight no matter what and I was just making excuses. He was right. So I got dressed and I went. 

3.05 miles at a 12:27 pace.

I realized on my run that I can turn any day around at any point. I don't have to wait until the next day, or the next Monday, or the first of the month. I can start with the next meal or the next workout. 

That's what I'm focusing on now. Self control and one meal/workout at a time. I've got a long way to go, with both weight loss and running. I'm not going to get there by thinking about future milestones if I can't celebrate the successes along the way.

So here's to making good choices and being proud of those good choices no matter what happened before.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment