Friday, November 28, 2014

Weekend Training

This weekend was the first of training for Dopey that called for three days of training in a row. I've done the two days in a row before (one day running a long distance and the other day walking), but this weekend called for two long walks followed by a long run.

I tracked the routes and prepared myself for the full weekend. It started with the Thanksgiving 5K on Thursday, turning into 4 days of training and a good mental and physical preparation for what I have ahead of me. 

Friday, November 28, 2014- 4 mile walk

Mile 1- 15:05
Mile 2- 14:57
Mile 3- 14:06
Mile 4- 14:00
Total distance- 4.27
Total time- 1:01:45
Avg pace- 14:28

I went for a familiar course that I've used for both walking and running. The first two miles are mostly uphill, leaving the second half for recovery. I was tempted to take my interval timer with me, but felt it would be better to follow my training as it's scheduled and not push myself. Especially since I'm starting strength training.. 

Saturday, November 29, 2014- 6 mile walk

Mile 1- 15:18
Mile 2- ???
Mile 3- ???
Mile 4- 14:19
Mile 5- 14:47
Mile 6- ???
Total distance- 6.12
Total time- 1:30:50
Avg pace- 14:51

I went a lot slower due to the pain in my rear end and thighs from strength training. A reminder to not stop strength training so I don't have to start over again. It felt good to get out and get moving, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't thinking a lot about the 10 mile run and how I would possibly get through it. It may be a positive thing though because my sore legs may force me to slow down for the long distance run. 

I'm glad I started strength training when I did though. Instead of waiting I just got started and it ended up giving me a two day break before doing it again. A chance to get my muscles back to feeling semi-normal before putting them back to work. It's going to take time for my body to adjust to both the strength, additional workouts and increased mileage. I'm just over waiting for the right time to do these things. There's never going to be a right time to focus solely on strength because I love running too much. I'm able to do both and I will see success in both. 

Sunday, November 30, 2014- 10 mile run

I cannot begin to express my gratitude for my parents. Being able to drop Isabel off early on Friday and Saturday to walk around their neighborhood and having my mom come over Sunday morning so I could run a flat 10 mile course makes my life easier and makes me realize how blessed I really am.. 

I started my run in some pain from strength training on Friday. I was getting in my head about quitting early because I could use the excuse that I was still sore, but the desire to prove that I can do it was greater.

About a mile and a half into the run it started to drizzle. About two and a half miles in it started to pour, and it didn't let up until I finished. I absolutely love running in the rain, even more so that it's such a rare event in Southern California. I found myself looking up to the sky and enjoying myself more than I looked down to watch where I was walking. Not smart for someone who's not so graceful. 

Thankfully I didn't injure myself and was able to enjoy the entire 10 miles. My goal was to not push myself and to try to stay between a 13:30-14:30 mile. I must have been feeling better than I thought because my slowest mile was under a 13:30. 

Mile 1- 13:17
Mile 2- 13:18
Mile 3- 13:13
Mile 4- 13:03
Mile 5- 13:23
Mile 6- 13:12
Mile 7- 13:13
Mile 8- 13:03
Mile 9- 12:54
Mile 10- 13:06
Total distance- 10.07
Total time- 2:12:58
Avg pace- 13:12

By the time I finished I was soaking wet. I felt great and so accomplished when I was done. 



I'm still nervous about getting up early to strength train. Mostly because I'm still sore, but also because I haven't been up early to work out in a long time. I know it's worth it and I know the feeling when I'm done is going to be amazing. I'm excited to be excited about doing this, and I know that as long as I keep thinking about that and the results that will eventually come I will be able to stick with this for as long as I've scheduled it, if not longer.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment