Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thanksgiving Day 5K

I've previously participated in two turkey trots. The first one I ran alone and attempted a PR, the second was last year where I ran the 1K with Isabel and the 5K with my niece.



This year Isabel and I will be running a 5K together. It will be her second year running on Thanksgiving and her second 5K. Her first 5K was in March. She ran with me in the Hopes 4 Kids 5K and we finished in 41:21. 



She made it to about the half way point at her first race before she was done and wanted to stop. I'm hoping she can get a little further this year. We may be finishing with her on my shoulders..

As much as I would love a little running buddy, I'm not really pushing her to run if she doesn't want to. She seems to like the idea of having this be our Thanksgiving tradition, however once we get out there and start running it's a whole other story. 3 miles is a long way for a 6 year old and I can sympathize with that. I wouldn't push her to do anything she doesn't want to do, which is why I always ask before signing her up. 

She was really excited last night when we picked up our race packets and then as we were laying out our clothes for the race. She kepts telling me how cool it would be to win the race, to which I was realistic and told her that in order to win you have to train for speed. Her little body isn't prepared to train like that. It's still developing, so we stick to our 30:1 intervals and enjoy the time we're spending together. 

Today's run was on the wash, my favorite place to run, so it was scenic and familiar. Isabel has gone with me many times on this particular path and I'm sure she will do fine. I need to make sure I have lots to talk to her about when she gets bored and is ready to call it quits. 





She wanted to try to beat her last 5K time, but went out too fast and I knew that it just wasn't going to happen. So the goal turned from a PR to just finishing. 

She did a lot better this time about not complaining while we were out there. There was some moans and groans and a couple "are we done yet?" But overall I am so proud of her and what she accomplished today. 



She's kind of like me when I first started running- hating the process loving the result. I think it's growing on her though, and although I'm not going to push my hobbies or passion for running on her, I will encourage it if she shows interest.



I mean, showing her a healthy activity to enjoy is a lot better than allowing more time on the iPad. And even just getting out for 20 minutes to walk the dog is a good habit to create at an early age. Being active and healthy is a huge part of why I run and what I want to pass on to Isabel. 



Hope you all have a very happy, healthy and safe Thanksgiving holiday! 


No comments:

Post a Comment